Forum » Straight Talk » Drug addiction and the black family

Drug addiction and the black family

Tags : None
  • 1 20

Drug addiction is a normal part of our community. Each of us has either struggled with it, or experienced a loved who has. What has been lacking are the mechanisms to not only combat addiction and drug abuse, but  a way for those effected by it to receive the counseling and assistnace that is also needed. people often underestimate the pain of expereiencing somone you love toe the line of death.

Let's talk about your experiences.

Let's discuss the ways we can combat this problem in our communities.

let's discuss the ways we can bring healing to those effected by this "Epedimic"

May 12, 2016 2:33 PM EDT
  • This is a very pertinent concern for our community, given the conditions that being a Black person in America exposes one to, the escapism that mind altering substances offer is something that is formidable. Not only is this a chief factor, but the American Psyche is underridden with the subliminal notion, that being high is the gateway to having fun. Then there is the subconscious effect of the celebrity influence on the social conditioning of being high as being cool because all the big stars lead with it. I can go on...

My oldest brother Jesse, who I loved dearly, was a functional alcoholic, who hardly missed a day of work as a X-Ray technician over a 30 year span at the University of Chicago, succumbed eventually to cirrhosis. My ignorance of the disease and it's symptoms I feel may have been a factor in this. I knew he liked to drink, but I had no idea that he was out of control. This is why I feel that we all should be aware of as much as possible about addiction and the signs of abuse. My brother never listened much to me when given advice, especially about matters like this one, but I wish I had known more about it and I think I would have approached it differently.

May 19, 2016 10:08 AM EDT
    • Dana smallet
      Dana smallet I'm sorry to hear this about your brother. I hope you don't feel responsible at all for his death. but I think we can all learn a great deal from each other from stories like yours. Thanks for being open.
      June 3, 2016
  • Drug and alcohol addiction stems as far back as I can remember, my grandmother, grandfather, uncles, aunts and my sibblings have had some encounter with one or the other.  How do we stop abuse? Everyone has to be accountable for their actions. Acknowledging their is a problem is the firs step. The second step is to turn the television off and stop watching commercials that advertise addictive substances. The world is ruled by the media and at some point in our lives we all succumb to this madness. the pharmaceutical companies are the biggest legalized drug dealers in the world, they produce chemically based drugs that are addictive with catastrophic results from abuse. But the FDA still approves this junk for human consumption. meanwhile natural remedies are heavily scrutinized and frowned upon by the FDA. We have to be stronger than the government, we have to educate one another and scold one another when necessary. For we are our brothers keeper. I don't want to go into details about friends and family members who have been affected by drugs and alcohol, but the stories are real.

May 19, 2016 6:16 PM EDT